Tuesday, November 11, 2008

what language?

My 17-year-old student told me about his recent trip to London. He said that in East London, people use a very strange language. They call it cockney. He asked me if I knew that britneys means beer; and rub a dub means pub? I said, no. He smiled.

That´s the beauty of language, I suppose. It´s dynamic, alive. It´s changing and moving with our times. And yes, people will always create new words to describe things, feelings, actions, etc...

Back in college, we used the word malandicious to describe someone who is crazy, flirtatious but in a friendly way. At home, we used kadurat. Nowadays, I hear my nieces use the word kikay.

My husband said that 10 or so years ago, it was fashionable here to use French words and expressions. These days, the Dutch language is highly peppered with English words and expressions. For example last Friday I heard a TV host saying, `ben jij happy?´ (are you happy?) And today, my student told me while narrating a story `hij moet to the point zijn´ (hij should go straight to the point).

We do the same thing in the Philippines of course. We play with words a lot. So imagine what will happen to our language, and especially the spelling, years from now. My nieces are already doing it when they email me. They use truncated English. And here I am, constantly reminding them to use the proper spelling. Because, I said, it is important that their fingers know where to locate the other letters on the keyboard! LOL

6 comments:

Anna said...

ha ha. maski ngani ako, di ko na maintindihan an corrupted version san english, tagalog and sometimes bicol. i especially have a fascination for gay lingo, which can really be outrageously funny (and alien). an udu, nagiging odessa; an pangit chaka (khan); an baduy na bado kukur (for kukurtinahin). really, the wonder of language!

Jesusa said...

i guess "nadururat kami sa NY" hahahahaha

cherie said...

i always say, language is a fascinating THANG..

Droomvla said...

Menchie: Aram mo, everytime na nag uuli ako sa Pilipinas, sige an dagdag san vocabulary ko sa gay lingo. HAHAHAHAHA Aliw talaga sinda. Mga very creative. HAHAHAHA

Droomvla said...

Grace: amo talaga, `nagdururat´ kamo sa NY. hehehe An hapot ko, harain an mga partners kay baga an mga puro kamo unattached sa pic?! HAHAHAHAHAHA

Droomvla said...

Cherie: yes dahleeng, language is indeed a fascinating thaaang. Bwa ha ha ha ha!