Monday, July 13, 2009

MJ and the Dutch

People are still talking about him. Television talk shows are still airing old concert tours; his life's work, analyzed by everybody. Music stores are still crowded with fans, rushing to get a copy of this-and-that dvd. My sister-in-law even spent more than 3 hours deliberating on the life and charity works of Michael Jackson last Saturday.

In this country where freedom of speech and freedom to be heard are held sacred by everyone, the passing of Michael Jackson and his life's work became the perfect venue to have something to talk about.

On April 30 this year, there was an attempt on the lives of the Royal family members. Eight people died, including the guy who was behind the wheels. It rocked this tiny European country. People were shocked; some were angry, some were apathetic, and others were scared.

I was not here then, but I can imagine that it gave the Dutch people every reason to have something to ponder and wonder, and talk about.

You see, Dutch by nature, are caring but cold and distant. They like to talk about trivial matters, yet they never take the time to stop and really talk. Or at least, that's what they try to project, and how I perceived them to be.


BUT when there is a threat to the Queen's life...... or someone like Michael Jackson died, talking becomes easy for everybody. So easy infact that anyone can be an expert on the subject. Some even give extensive reports on his psychological state. Claiming this-and-that fact as the ultimate truth behind who the man really was. And yes, everybody has something to say.


We all have ways to cope, right? So I listen...... listen some more..... and more.... until my brain snaps, shuts down, and tunes in to my mental iPOD of all the Michael Jackson songs I love and oh-so cherish, starting with BEN. Here it goes....


Ben, the two of us need look no more
We both found what we were looking for
With a friend to call my own
I'll never be alone
And you, my friend, will see
You've got a friend in me
(you've got a friend in me)


No comments: